The City of Menlo Park currently has an excellent opportunity for experienced Communications Dispatchers. Shift work including weekends and holidays is required.
Communications Dispatchers are responsible for receiving and dispatching emergency and non-emergency calls for the Police Department and City. Responsibilities are centered on extensive contact with the public over the telephone, in both emergency and non-emergency situations to receive, transmit, and provide factual information and assistance. All activities are performed within specified legal guidelines. Incumbents are expected to work independently and exercise judgment and initiative.
Examples of essential Job duties include, but are not limited to:
- Operate a state of the art computer-aided dispatch system while monitoring, phones and neighboring agencies activities.
- Receive emergency and non-emergency calls including wireless E911, TDD and VOIP calls and determine appropriate priorities for action.
- Dispatch calls and directs officers in the field; monitoring officer’s status, location and needs during emergency and routine activities.·
- Listen actively using effective questioning techniques with the ability to quickly articulate the details of a call in a clear concise understandable manner when speaking.
- Operate a wide variety of communications equipment and enter data into computers/databases
Communications Dispatchers may also assist walk-in citizens with reports and other requests; testify in court; maintain various logs; process warrants and court dispositions; and participate in community outreach and education programs