The ideal candidate will possess the ability to record and transmit information with speed and accuracy, "multi-task," quickly learn new material, make quick and sensible decisions, learn from constructive criticism, possess a high commitment to quality service, and participate in a team approach to law enforcement. The candidate will be able to successfully complete the department training program, operate a computer and complex software programs, type at a net speed of 35 words per minute, follow and give instructions, and gather information via telephone and in person. The ideal candidate will be respectful and sensitive towards the cultural and ethnic diversity of the community, and will work well with the general public under stressful or emergency conditions, and be able to speak, write, and read clearly and fluently.
Public Safety Dispatcher I:
· Possession of a high school diploma or GED equivalent. Additional related college course work or degree preferred.
· At least one (1) year of related work experience requiring alertness and independent judgment, but no previous public safety dispatch experience is required
· Typing certificate issued within the last year verifying minimum typing speed of thirty-five (35) net words per minute with a maximum of nine (9) errors. Typing certificate must be submitted with application to be considered. Online typing certificate permitted with application, formal test will be administered to final candidate.
· Completion of (or proof of registration for the test) within the last year of the POST Entry Level Dispatcher Selection Test Battery with a score of 50 or above. Certificate must be submitted with application to be considered.
· Completion of a probationary period in a public safety agency
· Currently working or has been employed within two (2) years as a Public Safety Dispatcher at a public safety agency
· Possession of a California POST Basic Dispatch Certificate
· Additional testing may required as part of the background testing
· CritiCall test results highly desirable
· Possess and maintain a valid California Driver’s License
· Ability to pass an extensive background investigation
· Possess excellent vision and hearing skills, with ability to sit, talk, type, hear, and walk for extended periods of time as well as lift or move up to twenty-five (25) pounds